Can I stop a book which names me and my family?

My sister-in-law has just published a book naming me and all my children and where we live. She has also falsely described our family life and assumed many things incorrectly. Is there anything I can do to make her change the names or remove the referrences altogether? She has produced the book through a small independant publisher but it is on sale on Amazon.

Kind Regards


63 viewspublishing law

Alasdair Taylor's Answer

There are two different categories of law that might help you here.

First, the publication of personal information may constitute an infringement of your privacy rights and/or rights under data protection law.

Second, the publication of false and damaging information may amount to defamation and/or malicious falsehood.

If you cannot persuade the author to withdraw the book from sale (or amend it as required), then you might consider approaching the publisher and/or Amazon with a complaint.  I do suggest, however, that you take advice from a suitable experienced lawyer before doing so. The relevant law is complex and a lawyer would need to review the book and discuss the background with you in order to determine whether you do, in fact, have a legal basis for a claim.

Ask a question

Question in one sentence
Select a topic that best fits your question.

Search questions


Using this legal Q&A, users can get guidance on business-related legal questions from our legal experts.

The guidance is not legal advice; no lawyer-client or similar relationship is created by the Q&A.

By using the Q&A, you agree to the limitations and exclusions of liability set out in our terms and conditions.

SEQ Legal
Copyright © 2021 Docular Limited All rights reserved