Dissolved company question

A customer owns money and is down on our records as a limited company.

We have tried to collect the monies owed.  They are now saying that the company has been dissolved.

On checking Companies House the company was dissolved in Feb 2013, but they carried on trading after that date without informing us.

The money owed is from July/Aug 2016.

Do we still have a recourse via small claims court?

66 viewscommercial law

Alasdair Taylor's Answer

In general, if a company has been dissolved, then you won’t be able to recover any amounts owed to you by that company.

If the individuals concerned were trading post-dissolution, then there may be a remedy – at least in respect of post-dissolution contracts/payments – but it does depend upon all the circumstances.  You should go over the facts with a legal adviser before issuing proceedings.  I don’t have enough information here to provide further guidance.

Ask a question

Question in one sentence
Select a topic that best fits your question.

Search questions


Using this legal Q&A, users can get guidance on business-related legal questions from our legal experts.

The guidance is not legal advice; no lawyer-client or similar relationship is created by the Q&A.

By using the Q&A, you agree to the limitations and exclusions of liability set out in our terms and conditions.

SEQ Legal
Copyright © 2021 Docular Limited All rights reserved